For HEALTH Professionals ONLY.
If you are a health professional seeking advice about the diagnosis and treatment of a patient with alcohol or other drug issues the DASAS helpline can assist.
DASAS is a free service available in NSW 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service is funded by NSW Health and managed by St Vincent’s Hospital Alcohol and Drug Service in Sydney.
DASAS is designed specifically to support staff working in regional and rural areas in NSW but is available to any health professional. As a 24 hour telephone service DASAS supports doctors and healthcare professionals exclusively, with any assistance they may need with diagnosis and treatment of patients with alcohol and other drug issues.
DASAS advises on the clinical diagnosis, management and treatment of patients with alcohol and other drug-related problems, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. DASAS is staffed by drug and alcohol clinicians, who can refer issues to on-call senior medical staff specialists if necessary, to advise on clinical management of patients.
Advice may include (but is not limited to):
- the safe management of intoxication and withdrawal of patients for many types of drugs, both legal and illegal;
- the management of other clinical issues that may arise from drug and alcohol use, such as during pregnancy;
- interactions between medications and illicit drugs;
- treatment guidelines and clinical assessment tools;
- referral and treatment options around NSW; and
- information on methadone and other opioid treatments.